Approximately 80% of people who signed up for a gym membership in January will stop going (and stop working out all together) before the five month mark. Most will actually quit by the second week of February. Why does that happen? When people decide they want to join a gym or start working out more they tell themselves things like, “If I just had the right equipment, then I would sure work out everyday”, “I love swimming. If I had a gym membership with a heated pool that I could swim in year-round, I would totally stick to it”, “If I could work out from home, I’d be fit”, etc. Unfortunately, these are just excuses. What really works? Simplicity, workout buddies and consistency.
You don’t want to be a part of that 80% this year, do you? These 5 easily-accessible exercises will keep you moving along, all year long!
- Jumping jacks– These are the perfect exercise for a burst of cardio that can be done literally anywhere with no necessary equipment!
- Squats– Do five squats before using the restroom. This helps spread the exercise out and gets you into the habit.
- Take the stairs– When the option for escalator, elevator, or stairs presents itself to you… take the stairs!
- Plank hold during commercials– Watching a TV show at the end of the day? Make commercial time productive by holding a plank for as long as you can.
- Dance– This one is fun and can burn a lot of calories. Put some music on while you’re doing chores around the house and dance, take a Zumba class, or go out with your friends and get your groove on!